Tuesday, January 25, 2011

DAY 4: Australia Day!

There's no more poignant day to express my heartfelt gratitude to my beautiful parents for choosing this magnificently glorious country, from ALL the choices that they had, to call our home.

I am a VERY proud Australian. I am also a proud Indian too, that's my heritage and one I never forget. Being Australian (and if you've heard my voice, you'll know that I AM 100% Aussie, from the half-eaten jar of Vegemite in my pantry, to the BBQ on my decking, to the stash of beer in my laundry) means a tremendous amount to me.

Everytime my plane touches back down after a trip away, I cry like a baby because it's like coming home to the safety of a mother's welcoming arms. It's safe, it's gorgeous, it's generous and humble, it's home.

I've travelled a lot and have to honestly say, there is no country better than our little patch of Antipodean soil. I am thankful to ALL my gorgeous gorgeous Aussie mates who've accepted and loved me as I am (an Austrindian - I just made that up - hehehe) and have made me forget, from time to time, that I don't LOOK like your typical Australian.
My birth certificate says I wasn't born here but I AM AUSTRALIAN and I love love the feeling that it gives me when I say that.
CARN THE PIES!!!!
For the record, I have lived here for 37 years and I have been an Australian for 35 of those years - oh, it's home awrighty!

1 comment:

  1. for the record Shaz, I've never thought of you as anything but %100 Aussie. My view is that it doesn't matter where your from, and unless your aboriginal then your family immigrated(or dragged here in shackles) here at some point in near past.

    Being Australian is a state of mind and a way of life.

    I remember when i was flying back to Oz from a 1 year stay in the UK, when I saw the Australian coastline I quietly sung "I still call Australia home" to myself with tears in my eyes. It had been good being away but it was even better to be back here.

    And finally. BOO THE PIES!!
    CARN THE HAWKS!!

    ReplyDelete