Thursday, January 27, 2011

DAY 5: Coffee

Coffee makes me happy. My day starts with a pathetic coffee that I make myself in the hope that it tastes like the coffee that my barrista makes me, and more often, it just doesn't. Which escalates the value of my barrista tenfold.

I MUST have a coffee first thing in the morning. It signals the breaking of a new day, the start of something grand. It is tantamount to scratching my balls if I had any to scratch. THAT'S how good a good coffee feels first thing in the morning.

Just before I get to work, I pop into my favourite cafe, Cafe 201, and Yale makes me the MOST delicious coffee, as he always does. He knows how I like it....weak, skinny milk and halfa sugar. Why do I even bother, right? BUT I don't even have to ask anymore, he sees me coming in and starts it - he's brilliant!!

Why does coffee make me feel happy? It has the aroma of friendship and intimacy. It says "I don't have to look up the obituaries to see if I'm alive because I just smelled LIFE and it's my own". It bonds friends over gossip and laughter.....

In Bali, I intend to try kopi luwak. "Kopi" is the Indonesian word for coffee and "Luwak" is the local name of this animal which eats the raw red coffee 'cherries' as part of its usual diet. This animal eats a mixed diet of insects, small mammals and fruits along with the softer outer part of the coffee cherry but does not digest the inner beans, instead excreting them still covered in some inner layers of the cherry. Locals then gather the beans -- which come through the 'animal stage' fairly intact -- and sell them on to dealers. It is believed that enzymes in the stomach of the civet add to the coffee's flavour through fermentation of some type.

Cat poo coffee....... retails for about $50 a cup or $1,400 per kilo. I wouldn't recommend using the garden variety house cat for this. Apparently it doesn't taste the same.
















1 comment:

  1. I've heard of that coffee before. All I can think is how desperate was someone in the past for a coffee that they went around experimenting with animal poo just so that they could have their morning cuppa...and how many animals had they tried before stumbling across this one

    I ask the big questions

    ReplyDelete