Sunday, February 6, 2011

DAY 14: My Age

Tomorrow is my 47th birthday and I must be one of a small percentage of women who really couldn't give a fat rat's behind about my age. It's just a number people..... to me, it denotes how long I've been on this earth and how many rings there are around my trunk, so to speak.

It doesn't mean I have to behave "old", whatever that is.... It doesn't represent anything more than the fact that 47 years ago, my mother gave birth to me. Simple. Nothing more.

I am 47 years old tomorrow. Know what that really means to me? It means I get to celebrate my birthday and the fact that, in 47 years, I have ticked a lot of things off my wishlist. I've had two beautiful children, I have been married twice (okay, I didn't WANT to be married twice but I have been blessed in this life to have found LOVE not just once but twice (at least)......). And one of these days, my ex-husband will appear on this blog as someone I am grateful for spending time with and I'm happy that he is the father of my two children. You may have to get your head around that! I digress......

I have travelled to a lot of places and still have a lot to go. I've had a lot of "world" experiences, shared them with some gorgeous people, done some crazy things which I don't regret and, all in all, without doing a total stocktake because my life is not over yet, I've had a wonderful life.

So tomorrow, I will wake up early. I shall make a helluva lot of noise and wake up the household like a small child does on Christmas morning because I LOVE presents. They don't have to be expensive (it's nice if they ARE though....there's my gratuitous smattering of honesty for you).... and I am going to revel and celebrate the fact that I get to have ANOTHER year to tick other things off my wishlist.

HOW fortunate is that? You may groan at having another birthday and the fact that you're not enjoying being another year older but think about it......what's your alternative?? If you don't get another year to 'be', then you're dead and is that what you want? Didn't think so.....

So next birthday, blow those effing candles out with relief that you get to do just THAT!

Can I just share one last thing? Grant and I went for a drive into the hills today and I have found it terribly amusing that there some kids busking with  two flutes, a tomtom drum and a guitar. they were playing a Christmas carol and the nearby store still had their Christmas decorations out....and I had a brilliant WTF moment....

No comments:

Post a Comment