Sunday, February 13, 2011

DAY 21: Childhood

I had the distinct pleasure of photographing other people's children this weekend and I have to say, it has been one of the most enjoyable things I have done in a long, long, long, long, time.

On Saturday, I held a newborn in my arms and he was just BEAUTIFUL. His name is Cooper and he is just a delightful bundle of freshly-made flesh and bones. He is only 9 days old. Cooper fit into the crook of my arms perfectly and that old familiar swaying rock came back to me. The best thing about Cooper was that I didn't have to wake up to him at ungodly hours in the morning and I didn't have to change his nappy and I didn't have to do anything more than marvel (yet again) how we can create a brand new pumping heart that beats outside of our own bodies. And Cooper reminded me of exactly that. Yummy yummy yummy newborned baby!!!

On Sunday morning, I met the perfectly charming Emily and Luke, children of Marelle (her husband, Craig had something to do with it too but who's going to really give him any credit for that). They were pocketfuls of utter bliss and happiness. Being with them reminded me how carefree and worry-free childhood really is. Where the worst thing you have to be concerned about is getting 'frog-kissed' by your older sister (that's a globular lick up the side of the face, for those who don't know).

Childhood: Where Superman's main worry is how to get his cape to look dramatically flowing and where Batman's only niggle was the massive wedgie he got from wearing that suit and not being able to adjust himself.

Babyhood: Where filling your nappy is an absolutely warming and gooey pleasure and the only worry is when you are going to get changed so you can fill a new one again.

My babies are all growed up but being with other people's children seems to have taken on a new meaning to me. It's just beautiful to be in the same company of carefree giggles and laughter and then hand them back when the tears start.....hehehehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment